Sustainability in a COVID-19 World
by Taylor Gillespie
There’s no way around it, COVID-19 has profoundly impacted the way I live my life. This global pandemic has changed the way I work, learn and connect with my community. In many ways, this uncertainty has rocked me to my core; but in other ways, it has helped me prioritize what is truly important.
Perhaps the most important lesson in all of this is that we are all finding new, innovative ways to work, play and thrive. We’re finding solutions to bridge the gaps between the people, places and causes we care about most. That’s why the IBMers for the Environment initiative is pleased to offer IBMers around the world resources to help them connect with the causes and people that matter most. If you are passionate about the environment and sustainability, we have something to help you make a difference using. Explore the IBMers for the Environment site and use these recommended resources on your own, share with your team, family and friends or bring to a community organization when safe to do so.
- IBMers for the Environment: IBMers for the Environment is a global initiative designed to help IBMers contribute to the environmental causes they care about. Check out this site and explore the various ways you can get involved today and every day.
- EBRG Resources: Looking for more ways to connect with other IBMers in your area who are also passionate about the environment? Find out more about your local Environmental Business Resource Group (eBRG), or explore resources to help you start your own eBRG.
- Plastic Reduction Lecture: Learn more about why plastic pollution is damaging to our environment and society and hear more about IBM’s Plastic Reduction initiatives.
- IBM Activity Kits: IBM Activity Kits are free, online resources designed to help IBMers volunteer their skills to make a positive impact, virtually or in person. Explore our environmental Activity Kits and be sure to check out the latest Activity Kit that was co-created with Plastic Bank, a social impact organization dedicated to reducing poverty and ocean plastic by monetizing pollution. This new resources will help you learn about your own plastic footprint and help you educate others on how they can contribute to stopping ocean plastic.
- Reduce Your Plastic Footprint Activity Kit
- Recycling Machine Activity Kit
- Call for Code: Call for Code is a tech for good challenge that calls on innovators to create practical, effective, and high-quality applications based on one or more IBM Cloud services (for example, web, mobile, data, analytics, AI, IoT, or weather) that can have an immediate and lasting impact on humanitarian issues. In 2020, Call for Code focuses on two key issues, COVID-19 and climate change. It’s not too late to apply! The deadline for submissions is July, 31 2020.
- IBM’s 2019 Corporate Responsibility Report: Read more about IBM’s ongoing commitment to becoming global leader, not only in technology, but in education, healthcare and responsible stewardship for our planet and our society.
Despite the challenges this global pandemic has posed, there are many ways you can leverage your skills, IBM technology and your community to make a lasting positive impact. Our world has changed forever. Let’s make sure it’s changed for the better.